About Steven M. Jankower
Steve Jankower has practiced law in the Lafayette area for over 40 years. He is a graduate of the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana-Lafayette) and the Louisiana State University Law Center. Steve was admitted to the Louisiana Bar in 1982 and is authorized to practice before the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, and the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana.
Steve is also the father of a child with special needs and has focused much of his practice on the handling of estate planning issues involving individuals with disabilities and special needs. Steve has written several published articles on the subject of estate planning for the disabled through use of special needs trusts and lectures throughout the State of Louisiana to various professional and civic groups on the subject of Medicaid planning.
- University of Southwestern Louisiana (graduated with B.S.B.A., summa cum laude, 1978)
- Louisiana State University (graduated with J.D., 1982)
- Law Clerk to Hon. Jerome E. Domengeaux, Chief Judge, Third Circuit Court of Appeals, Louisiana, 1982-1983
- Lafayette Parish Government – Assistant Parish Attorney – 1987-1996
- Lafayette City-Parish Consolidated Government, Assistant City-Parish Attorney, 1996-2002
- Jankower Law Firm, LLC – October, 2000 to present
Organizations and board affiliations:
- Louisiana State Bar Association – Member in good standing since 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- Lafayette Parish Bar Association
- LARC – Member of the Board of Directors since 2002 and currently serving as President of the Board of Directors
- Families Helping Families of Acadiana – Past President of the Board of Directors
- Cadence of Acadiana – Past President of the Board of Directors
- Lafayette City-Parish President's Disability Awareness Committee – past Board Member and Chairman
- Beaver Club of Acadiana – Member and past President of the Board of Directors
- Volunteers of America – Member of Advisory Board
- Down Syndrome Association of Acadiana – Member
- Louisiana Association for Justice - Member
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys - Member
- Academy of Special Needs Planners - Member
"Why Every Attorney Should Consider Medicaid Planning Issues When Settling Personal Injury Claims" published in the Louisiana Bar Journal.
"Estate Planning for the Disabled: An Overview of Special Needs Trusts" published in the Promulgator by the Lafayette Parish Bar Association.
"Medicaid Planning Issues When Settling Personal Injury Claims" published in the Promulgator by the Lafayette Parish Bar Association.
Quarterly Newsletter on issues associated with Medicaid planning for families with disabled and special needs members
DISCLAIMER: This website has been prepared for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal advice.
Use of these materials does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship.